Pulling reedsFirst of all you need a tool to easily extract the reeds. Every reed has a notch. This makes it possible to pull them out
With a simple bicycle spoke, you can make a reed puller.
Soldering extra material
- With the soldering iron add some solder at the tip of the tongue. Assure that no material cross the edges of the tongue.
- mark the reed at the front with an alcohol marker, so that it's easy to find it back when it's back in its position
- Slide the reed back into its position
- Open the harmonicity Tuner app on your smartphone
- Play the note
- Read the note detected by the app
- When the note is too low, remove the reed
- With a small triangular file, remove some solder
- Repeat the process until the note is correct
- Remove the reed
- With a file, clean up the front so it blinks. This is a good way to see which reeds are already tuned
- Choose to tune the notes that are part of chords.
- Choose lower octave notes, since the bass coupler also plays them.
- Check if chords and octaves sound in harmony with pleasant beats